Hey Amazing Soul!
If you are a caregiver you know how many roles that one word encompasses. It can be exhausting (and rewarding!) I don’t know about you, but anything that can make those many roles a bit easier I’m all for it!
Here are 5 Caregiver Hacks (Ideas to make things a little easier) They might not fit your exact situation, but i hope you can find a little inspiration here. I would love to know any of your tricks!
- Have a reusable water bottle around to encourage your loved one to hydrate. We use glass bottles that we got from amazon. We use a dry erase marker to put what bottle number it is (we aim for 3 bottles a day)
- Use a large calendar to write down all the appointments, follow ups, medication needs. We use a dry erase one for the fridge.
- Use a Pinterest Board to gather ideas for care-giving ideas or your loved ones condition. Invite family or friends to it.
- Use a notebook to write down the things you need to do, follow ups, things you wan to research.. You can even separate it into ASAP, Short Term, Longer Term and Eventually.
- Take mini breaks throughout your day. We often feel we need larger chunks of time to really take care of ourselves. Deep breaths, stepping outside for a few moments, 5 minutes of exercise, Journaling for a few moments, checking in with your shoulders. Are they up by your ears?
- Check out what local agencies are around to help give you respite. You might qualify for a short term respite grant, maybe you can get support from a local church or the like. Someone to help out with your loved one a few hours a week. Adult Day Care ( often called Social Centers). I know that even figuring that out can feel like yet one more thing to do. But it’s worth at least spending a little time each week on with the hopes that you will find something to give you a bit of a breather!
Here is to living with Intention